The Langdon Curriculum
Our Primary Curriculum at Langdon Academy
At Langdon Academy we have a fun, engaging, comprehensive and all-inclusive standards based curriculum that meets and exceeds the expectations set out be the national curriculum. Our values respect, fairness, independence, compassion, honesty and determination are essential to successful learning.
We believe that providing our children with a broad, rich and balanced curriculum will empower them to grow into accomplished, knowledgeable and confident young people.
The curriculum is designed to provide our children with the essential knowledge and foundation to thrive. We teach our foundation subject and core science through projects; these focus on a specific topic within a particular subject and last a set amount of time, dependent on aims and objectives. This allows for an in-depth focus on individual subjects which helps the children develop a solid grasp of each topic. Using formative and summative assessment we can confidently say that they have a secure understanding before the next project begins.
We aim to make these projects child centred, wide-ranging and practical where possible to ensure they are effective in achieving their aims. We also plan a range of trips, guest visits and special events to enrich and provide opportunity to learn in a range of environments.
Being an all-through school provides us with the fantastic opportunity to share the facilities and resources available at the secondary phase. We have arranged for specialist teaching to take place weekly which ensures all of our children throughout the primary phase have exposure to secondary’s expertise. This includes:
- Working with specialist language teachers, which provides our children a head start in learning French. It capitalises on the innate ability for children to learn foreign languages quicker than adults;
- Seeing, sharing and participating in secondary drama providing the children with experiences that otherwise would only be achieved through planned trips;
- Receiving training from specialist sport coaches, which gives the children a competitive edge when competing in local and national competitions;
- Gaining access to technology rooms and specialist teachers, which gives the children a chance to learn how to build and design products practically rather than in theory; and
- Working with key specialist staff in Maths, English, Computing and Science, which helps prepare our children for their eventual move to Year 7 in a seamless and fluid way;
- Partaking in regular art lessons by specialist secondary teachers, which equips our children with skills to thrive as an artist in the future.
Learning at Langdon Academy alternates between whole class teaching, collaborative work along with independent learning. We have specialist teachers who demonstrate their passion in key areas through everything that they do. They work with children of different abilities to ensure every child has the best chances of success in all areas of the curriculum. This includes an excellent SEN provision, as well as projects to stretch and challenge children, that are linked with the expertise of the secondary school.
We have designed an engaging, dynamic and successful curriculum here at Langdon Academy and we continuously strive towards further excellence.
Our curriculum map for each year group can be found here.
Choose the area below to find out more:
In the leaflets, below, you can find out about the expectations in each year group.
Advanced Learning Events take place every term. Keep up to date with them here:
We run a number of clubs that the children love to participate in. These run alongside our curriculum and encourage the children to develop their skills further outside of the classroom. Details of this can be found here.
We provide a range of opportunities for parents and carers to come and experience their child’s achievements: regular assemblies that are led by the children where they share their recent learning; parent activities; performances all alongside the more formal learning reports and consultation evenings.